Ms Vicki Cole
Witheridge Medical Centre
Devon EX16 8EZ
Tel: 01884 860205
Dr A.J. Degan, Dr W.A. Edney and Dr T.J. Owens
Contact us online for help with a non urgent medical or admin request
The Mid Devon Medical Practice comprises three surgeries at Witheridge, Cheriton Fitzpaine and Morchard Bishop. We provide a service to patients living around and between these three villages. All the surgeries have access suitable for disabled patients.
Click on the picture links below for surgery location map, address, contact details and opening times.
NHS Information on all aspects of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
To find out more please visit:
Coming to a Mid Devon Medical Practice Surgery
Please continue to wear a face covering when entering our Surgery Buildings if you have symptoms related to your breathing such as a cough or breathlessness …
In light of the recent updated guidance we have completed a Risk Assessment regarding wearing masks and as such can now confirm the following changes to our policy. These changes will take affect from Monday 27th June 2022.
- Clinicians (GP, Nurses, HCA’s, Physio) are still required to wear a mask when seeing a patient
- Clinicians (GP, Nurses, HCA’s, Physio) can request that their patient wear a mask
- Patients no longer need to wear a mask when they are in the surgery unless:
- They are visiting due to a respiratory illness e.g coughing
- It is their personal preference
- They have been asked to by a clinician
- Dispensers are no longer required to wear a mask unless this is their personal preference
- Receptionists are no longer required to wear a mask unless this is their personal preference
- Admin staff are no longer required to wear a mask unless this is their personal preference
Please be considerate to others, we hope there will be a mutual respect between staff and patients so that everyone will feel comfortable with the new changes. The plastic screens will remain in place, we currently do not have any plans for their removal.
Vaccinations for Coronavirus (COVID-19)
At each stage of the Covid-19 Vaccination Programme Mid Devon Medical Practice will invite patients to attend vaccination appointments. The order in which people will be invited is based on the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) prioritisation
To find out more please visit: Covid-19-vaccination-spring-booster-resources/a-guide-to-the-covid-19-spring-booster-2023
Our staff are working incredibly hard to deliver what is the largest vaccination programme in our history, at the same time as continuing to be there for everyone who needs care. You have an important part to play to help us to do this:
- Please don’t contact the surgery to seek a vaccine, we will contact you
- When we do contact you, please attend your booked appointment at exactly the time we give you
- Please continue to follow all the guidance to control the virus and save lives.
(image of Morchard Bishop Surgery)
Morchard Bishop Surgery
tel: 01363 877208
(image of Witheridge Medical Centre)
Witheridge Medical Centre
tel: 01884 860205
(image of Cheriton Fitzpaine Surgery)
Cheriton Fitzpaine Surgery
tel: 01363 866322
Address and Contact Details
More News Updates
People aged 70 years of age are eligible for one of the Shingles vaccinations, there are now two different vaccines.
The vaccination is also available to patients before their 80th Birthday who were eligible but who missed the vaccine.
The vaccine is not available after an 80th Birthday because its effectiveness reduces.
Information on the vaccine against shingles
There are no specific clinics for these so if you fit the age criteria please make a nurse appointment for the vaccination.
GP Patient Survey
The GP Patient Survey is an independent survey run by Ipsos MORI on behalf of NHS England. The survey is sent out to over two million people across the UK. The results show how people feel about their GP practice.
We have just received our latest results from this … please take a look.
Mid Devon Medical Half Day Shutdowns
Planned training dates will be posted when they are known ... there are currently no new Half Day Shutdowns planned
The Mid Devon Medical Practice is positive about breast feeding:
A recognition of our commitment to support breastfeeding in our surgeries
Cervical Smear Test Drop-in Service at Tiverton Hospital and the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
From 1st October 2019 in addition to seeing our Practice Nurses you have the option of attending a drop-in service at Tiverton Hospital on Wednesday evenings between 5.30pm and 7.30pm. You can also attend a drop in clinic held in Clinic 2, Centre for Women's Health, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital every Tuesday between 6pm and 8pm and on Wednesday between 2pm and 4pm. To contact the clinic please call 01392 406500.
Are you due a Cervical Smear test?
NHS MyHealth Website
This site contains health information specifically for patients in Devon
Wellbeing and Social Prescribing
For information on Mid Devon Healthcare's Social Prescribers see the Thinking of Your Health section of our website and e-mail them!
pinpoint - community services in Devon
Access Information for those living in Devon at the following website:
The site provides information on:
Advice and advocacy
Help and support services for the young, older person and everyone in between.
Carers and families.
Education, work and leisure.
Health and wellbeing
Things to do .....
Take a look if you want to know what is available in Devon
When booking GP appointments it is important that you only select the Surgery Branch that you are registered with.
This will allow you to see and request your repeat medication, book GP but not Nurse appointments and tell us about changes in your address or contact details.
You can apply to do this if you are over 16 years old and permanently registered with the Practice. To complete your registration we will need to see proof of identity.
More detailed information, including a guide to registering for this service, can be found at:
Evening and Weekend Appointments in Devon
Patients across Devon from October 2018 will have the ability to access routine pre-bookable appointments in the evenings and at weekends.
It is not a walk-in service.
Appointments cannot be booked after 1800 for weekday evening surgeries, after 1800 on Friday for the weekend surgeries or over the weekend for Monday evening appointments.
The aim of the GP Improved Access Service is to make it easier for people to get a routine appointment at a time that suits them. It is an extension of the existing GP service.
Practices across Devon are working together to provide the service and individual GP Practices are promoting it to their patients.
Please be aware that the surgeries are run each evening in one of several GP Practices in Devon and therefore patients may not see their usual GP or attend their usual GP surgery on a particular day.
Mid Devon Medical Patient Participation Group
We have established a Patient Participation Group in order to help shape our service for your future care.
The purpose of a Patient Participation Group is:
• To give Practice staff and Patients the opportunity to discuss topics of mutual interest.
• To provide a means for Patients to make constructive suggestions about the Practice and specific medical conditions.
• To give a Patient view on proposed changes to service
• To encourage Health Education activities within the Practice.
• To develop self-help projects to meet the needs of fellow Patients, e.g. befriending, help with transport and bereavement support .
• To act as a representative group that can be called upon to influence the local provision of Health and Social Care.
The aims of the Patient Participation Group:
• To be a voice for the Patients.
• To help the Patients to understand Practice decisions.
• Aim to maintain and improve Patient satisfaction and experience.
• Be a link between the Patient, the Partners and Practice staff.
• Support the Practice in continuing to improve the service to the Patients and discuss our Practice performance data.
• Help patients to understand how they can build on responsibility for their own health.
If you are a Mid Devon Medical Practice patient and you are interested in giving us some of your time please make contact with Ms Vicki Cole either:
- Telephone: 01884 860205, or
- by email: D-CCG.Witheridge@nhs.net
Mid Devon Medical Practice Boundary
This is a map of the contractual responsibility for Mid Devon Medical Care
Text messaging to patients ...
We have introduced a service that will allow us to text you with various information such as reminders for flu clinics, medication reviews and annual medical reviews.
To begin with we are launching this service with Appointment Reminders ...
You will receive a text confirming your appointment once you have booked it and also a reminder of that appointment the day before.
To benefit from this service you will need to provide a current mobile number to the surgery.
We have sent a text message to all patients for whom we have a mobile number to allow them to opt out from this service.